On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Thomas Van Lenten <thoma...@chromium.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Greg Spencer <gspen...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> 4) Make sure we handle case sensitivity vs case preservation correctly.
>> It's unclear to me that FilePath does this correctly on the Mac -- Mac file
>> names are case preserving, but case insensitive, Unix filenames are both
>> (and windows filenames are neither :-).
>

> FYI - it's a drive format time option on the Mac, so they can be case
> preserving and case sensitive.

Thanks for pointing that out. In fact, NTFS is actually case sensitive,
where FAT32 is not (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/100625).  So we have
issues there as well.  The real issue would be dealing with relative paths
that don't exist yet -- there would be no way to inspect the file location
to find out what mode it was in.  I think I would just punt and go with the
widely-used defaults (the ones I mentioned above), since most apps seem to
assume those limitations.  An alternative would be to have an API to specify
the desired mode, and default to the common case on each platform.

-Greg.