On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Peter Kasting <pkast...@chromium.org> wrote:

> IRC is absolutely the wrong
> method for support.  Encouraging that makes everything worse.

Why is it a bad method for support?

> Some people will do things wrong.  The number of people who are doing things
> wrong by joining the wrong IRC channel, a communication method which didn't
> so much stop being relevant for normal people as much as _never start being
> relevant_ for normal people, is vanishingly small.

Correct -- most people don't use IRC -- but you can install a Mibbit
web-IRC gateway applet on the Chrome support site, similar to what
Mozilla has done on their site.  That will allow more non-geeks to use
IRC.  Also, we can publicly log the channel, to make the archives
searchable; also, we can require that people search the forum archives
before asking questions in #chrome.