On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Dan Kegel <daniel.r.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://codereview.chromium.org/115773 is my try at
> fixing http://crbug.com/11841 ("autoupdate broke my browser",
> familiar to anyone who's used Firefox on Linux).
> I haven't cleaned up the code, but it's a lot less
> invasive than I thought it was going to be.

But we've gone over this before? Zygotes disable ASLR, make debugging harder
etc. They might have some performance benefits, but I don't believe that
they're the correct solution for the auto update issue.

We can open any files which the renderer needs at startup time and pass the
handles to the renderer. The only issue is that one doesn't have fexec (the
system loader needs a filename sadly).

However, we could easily make a hardlink with a specific version in the name.
That could go wrong if packaging systems write the same inode when updating
rather than creating a new one, but I suspect that they don't. A patch to use
the zygote hammer for the auto-updating issue would first have to show that
there's no easier alternatives!

AGL