I had a similar issue with my build a while back
and I ended up finding out that something in our build chain was  corrupting
the manifest (the manifest had two different xml namespaces referring to two
different versions of the manifest versions if I recall correctly).The
solution for me was to change the manifest file
(src\chrome\app\chrome.exe.manifest) to contain only the XML header only.
 Then the toolchain updated it correctly.

This is from memory so I hope this helps (I no longer have this problem).

Sverrir