On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Mohamed Mansour <m0.interact...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I really like the mock-up, when can you do one for Settings?

I'll put it on our list, but I don't expect to get to this in the next
couple of weeks. In general, we try not to block engineers on UI, so if you
make good progress on the preview, we'll prioritize this higher.

> If we are going to include settings to this page (such as margins, headers,
> footers, etc), does that mean it would be per page? I was thinking of global
> printer settings which will be persistent. I don't know how that will fit
> this mock-up, or we could have both. We could have a dialog which sole
> purpose is for printer settings and the inline page for per page
> settings/preview customization. The inline page can have a link to the
> global settings if needed.

I think the settings should just be global and sticky (just like default
printer on the mac: it just uses the last one you used). Most people
probably don't want to change print settings when they're not printing.

> That will seem to be too crowded, and my vision would be incorporating all
> this (preview and settings) into the same page. I am just wondering how the
> UI's team vision is, wrt to settings. Would be nice to see.
>
> We already started with Headers/Footers data persistence in a previous CL.
> And would like to have a UI that will  let the user interact with such data
> instead of editing the Preference file directly. Later on we could start the
> print preview implementation, which I "think" is challenging.

I think Ben's opinion was that the preferences would be hard to
understand without the preview, so we should do the preview first. I
can't comment on the difficulty of it :)