Don't know if this is what most do but I ended up adding it to
build\common.gpyi (line 471 in my case)
          'VCCLCompilerTool': {
*            'AdditionalOptions': '/MP',*
            'MinimalRebuild': 'false',
            'ExceptionHandling': '0',
            'BufferSecurityCheck': 'true',
            'EnableFunctionLevelLinking': 'true',
            'RuntimeTypeInfo': 'false',
            'WarningLevel': '3',
            'WarnAsError': 'true',
            'DebugInformationFormat': '3',
          },

If that's not what everyone else is doing, please let me know.