If it "detaches from the terminal" this probably means you have
another instance of Chromium already running.  We check the profile
lock on startup, and if there is already a running process holding
that lock, we message it to create a new window.

This might not be it, but it kinda sounds like it.  Otherwise I would
debug / strace / etc to figure out what's going on.