On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:09 PM, James Robinson<jam...@google.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.  I've
> created http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/InterExtensionCommunication with
> the proposal and would appreciate if someone with an @chromium account could
> link to it

Done. I also created a bug:

> This sounds like it should be possible, but since connect() takes an
> optional param 'name' of type string already and the ID will also be of type
> string it seems like this would be ambiguous.

Yeah, I don't feel too strongly about it. I was bringing it up more as
a possibility. I presume that whenever someone implements this they
will pick the best of the several ways to phrase this.

> We'll always know what extension the onConnectExternal event will be fired
> at when the connectExternal() call is made, so at the very least we could
> promise that no onConnectExternal event will be fired at an extension until
> its background page, if there is one, has fully loaded.  Queuing until all
> extensions' background pages load is a simpler way to guarantee the same
> thing.
>
> Using the manifests could be a way to have a clever implementation, but in
> general the best you can get out of manifests is a partial order of
> extensions and you might get cycles.

True. I guess I am worried about blocking an extension from
communicating with, eg, itself, until all other extensions have loaded
their background pages. This doesn't seem fair.

- a