I was facing this issue, and that too a few days ago.
There is an issue with python(urllib2) and https connections over
http-proxies.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t339065-urllib2-proxy-and-https.html

If you are on linux, just tunnel all traffic via proxychains.
If you are on windows, you would require something like widecap to pass all
the traffic via a SOCKS proxy. I found a software, CCProxy, that lets you
create a SOCKS proxy that uses an upstream HTTP proxy.

Both of these seem to work for me.

--
Cheers,
Arindam.