[Resending from my @chromium.com address]

When we fully land the sync code (hopefully in the coming few weeks),
developers will certainly be able to pass in an alternate sync server
address via a command line flag and use that to develop their own sync
server. The initial UI doesn't include an option to configure an alternate
server. However, keep in mind that we wanted to get this in the hand of
users first and get some feedback about our overall sync quality. We will
iron out how to allow the configuration of a third party server a little
later on.

--
-Idan