On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Peter Kasting<pkast...@google.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty frustrated with this week's tree.  Last Thursday and Friday Tim
> and I kept *everything* green at almost all times.  This week there's been
> constant redness, huge swaths of orange on the WebKit LayoutTest bots, and
> the tree's been open much of that time.  I have done a few things to help
> but I feel like I can either let the tree be red or be a full-time sheriff.
>  That's not how it should be.

One thing that my monday/tuesday stint as webkit sheriff brought to
mind was that perhaps we need to start having weekend sheriffs, or
somehow reinforce the "even if no sheriff is sitting in IRC, nobody's
off the hook for redness" message...

> I wrote about what both sheriffs and others need to do at all times a week
> and a half ago.  Maybe nobody read my mail because it was too long, or maybe
> just nobody cares about the tree being in good shape.  It's disappointing.

I don't think "nobody read my mail" or "nobody cares" are accurate.  I
suspect it's more a matter of "well, I didn't touch what broke, so
it's not my priority."  It would be nice to get back to our older team
culture of "when the tree breaks, it's everyone's problem until it's
fixed", with the sheriff being a backstop.  I'm not sure how to do
that except to keep beating the drum for a while.

--Amanda