On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Peter Kasting<pkast...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:57 PM, James Hawkins <jhawk...@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Will you accept opinions of the opposite?  I love our current behavior
>> and can't stand having to triple-click in Firefox.
>>
>> Consider the following cases.
>>
>> a) The user is trying to completely change the contents of the omnibox.
>>  - Current behavior: 1 click
>>  - Suggested behavior: 3 clicks
>>
>> b) The user is trying to modify the contents of the omnibox.
>>  - Current behavior: 2 clicks
>>  - Suggested behavior: 1 click
>>
>> I have no facts to back up this claim, but I'd say that 70% of
>> operations are of the former (a), with the caveat that this is a
>> conservative estimate based on my personal experience.
>
> I chatted with several people just now about the Mac behavior, since unlike
> Linux, there aren't "blowing away my clipboard" concerns and it seemed to me
> that the argument above was compelling.  According to pinkerton, the
> behavior in Chrome Mac is not just to match Safari, Camino, or platform
> conventions, but ultimately for the same reason that Camino decided to
> place-cursor-on-click instead of selecting all: editing was thought to be
> common enough that selecting all becomes frustrating.
> To me something is wrong when we argue opposite (non-platform-dependent)
> conclusions on different platforms, so I filed http://crbug.com/19879 about
> collecting some real-world data to inform this debate.  If we found that 99%
> of user navigations followed replacing all the text, for example, I would
> plead strongly with the Mac people to change their decision; if we found
> that 50% of navigations involved editing, I would probably argue we should
> reverse the Windows and Linux behaviors both.  Of course, if we do get this
> data, the numbers are unlikely to be so clear-cut.  But we won't know until
> then.
> If anyone wants to contribute a patch to do this, it would be welcome...
> PK

I absolutely agree.  My 70% guesstimate was purely based on my own
behavior, and I have no idea how it's used for the majority of users.
Most of our UI decisions in the past have been based on user data, and
this is another experiment we should set up.  I'm willing to look into
what's required to run this experiment.

--
James Hawkins