On Aug 21, 10:20 pm, Peter Kasting <pkast...@google.com> wrote:
> Windows native behavior is that hitting alt+accesskey opens the menu in
> question.

Do we really want to follow native behavior in this place? Websites
use Alt+accesskey as well, and every combo you reserve for Chrome
won't (or at least should not for consistency reasons) be available to
content. If you e.g. use Alt+F for Chrome, you break quick access to
Wikipedia's in-page search box. And IIRC Chrome was all about content
and should thus not get in the way as much as possible (compare this
to Firefox, where we've had to change the content access modifier to
Alt+Shift on Windows and Linux in order to maintain accessibility).

Also: Will these accesskeys be localizable?

> The other solution would be to somehow show the correct accesskey on
> the menu buttons when the user presses alt, but that seems flickery and ugly
> to me.

What about just including modifier+accesskey in the item's tooltip (as
e.g. the above mentioned Wikipedia does and even MS Office allows to
do optionally)?