Note that even upgrading Windows OS from XP to Vista involves changing paths:

c:\Documents and Settings -> c:\Users

Do we ever write paths such as this?

Local state should be data that can be thrown away without much loss
of user experience. Generally these things include window positions,
file system paths etc.

It is much more desirable to share personal data (the contents of my
NTP, omnibox, etc) across machines and OSes.

-Ben