Git is comprised of billions of tiny orthogonal binaries.
When this happened to me the cause was some old git binaries in the path
that where being called by others, the version mismatch was silent and
caused this error.

Have you upgraded to a new version of git recently that might cause such a
mismatch?

Best regards,
Jeremy