Dan Kegel wrote:
> It's so our tests pass, I think.

We don't have tests for nothing.

If a test exposes a case where something requires 53/64-bit IEEE
double precision as opposed to 64/80-bit double extended, and we're
changing our configuration "to make tests pass" but then releasing in
another configuration where those same tests wouldn't pass, we're
doing something wrong.  Using SSE2 floating-point operations in a
configuration that we test and then using x87 floating-point
operations in a configuration that we release is completely bogus.

Mark