Saw this on slashdot:
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~bianca/papers/sigmetrics09.pdf
The conclusion is "an average of 25,000–75,000 FIT (failures in time per
billion hours of operation) per Mbit".

On my machine the browser process is usually > 100MB, so that averages out
to 176 to 493 error per year, with those numbers having big variance
depending on the machine.  Since most users don't have ECC, which means this
will lead to corruption.  Sqlite is a heavy user of memory, so even if it's
1/4 of the 100MB, that means we'll see an average of 40-120 errors naturally
because of faulty DIMMs.

Given that sqlite corruption means (repeated) crashing of the browser
process, it seems this data heavily suggests we should separate sqlite code
into a separate process.  The IPC overhead is negligible compared to disk
access.  My hunch is that the complexity is also not that high, since the
code that deals with it is already asynchronous since we don't use sqlite on
the UI/IO threads.

What do others think?