On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Amanda Walker <ama...@chromium.org> wrote:
>>  But the problem is : where are the count-numbers of files?
>
> There is no explicit count.  As WebKit parses HTML, we queue up requests for
> resources that are encountered in that HTML.  We only know we're "done" when
> there are no more pending requests.  There is no way to tell in advance.

For example, note that CSS files, once they're loaded, can @import
more CSS files, increasing the "needed to be loaded" count.  Each time
you load a frame or iframe the mystery Amanda describes repeats.
Finally, JavaScript files can add any DOM nodes, including more CSS,
iframes, and JavaScript.

I don't mean to be discouraging.  It might be a fun project to
implement some sort of progress bar -- for example, it could show the
load progress of each resource as they're discovered (see earlier in
the thread where you aren't guaranteed to know how long a given
resource is).

But if it were possible to make a progress bar that browser developers
thought would be meaningful, they would have been integrated into
browsers already.