On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Julie Parent <jpar...@chromium.org> wrote:

> We did this on my last project to deal with flaky test infrastructure.  It
> worked well in that test failures were pretty much guaranteed to be real (we
> ran tests 3 times and only reported failure if a test failed all 3 times),
> but it did definitely make us stop caring about flaky tests.
> Idealizing this some more, what if it could auto-add flaky tests to
> test_expectations, or at least generate a daily report that someone could
> then manually add?  This would make us keep track of the flakiness and would
> only have the slowdown in test run times until a flaky test is added to
> test_expectations.

I agree that this would address the slowdown issue. It's more work though.
:)

Tony also pointed out that rerunning tests would not allow you to
distinguish tests that consistently pass in isolation, but fail when run in
the whole suite. I think as long as we don't automatically add to
test_expectations though, this should be fine. Whoever goes to fix the test
can check if it consistently fails/passes only in isolation.

Another possibility would be to rerun unexpected failures, but continue to
turn the tree red. This will provide more immediate feedback to people
trying to green to tree as to whether tests are flaky or regressions. It
would help with sheriffing/gardening without the other downsides.

Ojan