On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Chris Evans <cev...@chromium.org> wrote:

> There's also option 3)
> Pre-fault the mmap()ed region in the file thread upon dictionary
> initialization.
> On Linux at least, that may give you better behaviour than malloc() +
> read() in the event of memory pressure.

On Windows, I believe that will either be equivalent to loading everything
into a memory data structure or very slightly worse.

I forgot to mention one facet of loading into memory.  If we need to, it is
probably easier for us to design the memory data structure so that most hits
occur in a smaller region of pages, and are thus more friendly to memory
pressure, than it is to structure the files on disk to have this property.

PK