On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Ojan Vafai <o...@google.com> wrote:

> The goal of the sheriff is to keep the tree open as long as possible
> without carpeting over regressions. The sheriff should suffer through minor
> flakiness without closing the tree (e.g. a couple flaky webkit tests should
> not close the tree).

When I am sheriffing I keep the tree open until the point at which there is
redness that has no owner.  Normally, I take ownership of redness when I see
it, so this only occurs when multiple different things are red.  At that
point I close the tree until all redness has owners, at which point I
reopen.  I don't know how well that squares with your description.

that goal is achieved by reducing flakiness, not by keeping the tree closed
> until all the flakiness has been properly documented (e.g. listed in
> test_expectations.txt).

Are you suggesting not documenting the flakiness?  If not, then I suspect
that we are in fairly close agreement given my paragraph above.

It's also a team goal to keep the tree open for >7 hours in every eight hour
> period. The latter is primarily the responsibility of the sheriffs.

I see this as saying that the sheriff should prioritize tree openness over
tree greenness, which I disagree with.  Perhaps, though, you are not trying
to say that so strongly, and you're again saying something more akin to my
first paragraph above.

Solving the problem by having the tree open if things "aren't too bad" is
>> not good enough.  Right now I just checked and the purify and valgrind bots
>> were red.  As usual.  No sign of anyone looking into them.
>>

> This is not a solution, but closing the tree doesn't really solve it
> either.

I wasn't saying that closing the tree solved this problem.  I was saying
that the sheriff was not looking into these things, and that it was an
example of a general pattern where many sheriffs seem not to look into them,
and that not being busy dealing with these is one reason why other people
might perceive the current sheriff system as sufficient and effective more
than I do.

The entire reason I want more sheriffs is _precisely_ to hold the tree open
longer, because it means that when purify, valgrind, and layout tests all
fail, they can all get owners immediately and the tree can stay open.  Right
now it seems to me that either the tree is not open enough, or we sheriffs
are letting things slide.

PK