flakiness a bit.

1. Is the tradeoff of (hopefully) temporary increased flakiness worth the
speed gains? We retry these failures, so they rarely actually turn the bots
red,
2. The flakiness is temporary only if we fix it. Currently, as far as I
know, only Julie and I are fixing flaky webkit tests. There's a lot of
low-hanging fruit here. Tests with obvious race conditions. Anyone else
willing to help fixing these?

Details:
As we increase parallelism in the webkit tests, we greatly reduce cycle
times, but we also increase flakiness. I'm fairly convinced that, with the
exception of the http tests on Windows, nearly all of the flakiness results
from race conditions in the test itself and occasionally bugs in
Chrome/WebKit.

We currently shard webkit tests by directory in order to minimize flakiness.
The theory is that we run them in roughly the same order as upstream webkit
does that way. In order to minimize pain and flakiness we are gradually
sharding into smaller chunks. Initially, we sharded just the directories
under LayoutTests. Now we also shard the directories under fast, svg and (on
the Mac) http.

For example, sharding LayoutTests/fast made the webkit tests on the debug-2
bots >2x faster (~10 mins!). But it also exposed flakiness in ~10 tests. You
can see this by looking at
http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/webkit/tools/layout_tests/flakiness_dashboard.html#builder=Webkit%20Linux%20(dbg)(2),
which used to have 2 flaky tests.

Ultimately, I think on machines with 8 hyperthreaded cores we are close to
getting the tests to run in <2 minutes.

Ojan