What if the Incognito profile started with a copy-on-write version of
extensions' localStorage? That way extensions in Incognito mode would see
the writes they just made, but changes would not persist beyond Incognito
mode.

Then we could either add the messaging API for Incognito <-> Regular
extension communication, or add an explicit settings API that would have the
same storage regardless of Incognito mode.