A proposal- not actually an API, just a modification, but I'll use the
API template.

Overview
Add an optional "options_page" item to the manifest file, which causes
an "Options" button to appear next to Disable/Reload/Uninstall buttons
on the extensions page.

Use cases
User wants to find and edit options for an extension. They go to the
extensions page, click the button, it opens a page within the
extension. Typically that page will be programmed by the extension
developer to save values to the extension's localStorage.

Could this API be part of the web platform?
N/A

Do you expect this API to be fairly stable?
Yes. It's just a button that opens a new tab/window.

What UI does this API expose?
A button, on the extensions page.

How could this API be abused?
Developers might use it for opening pages that really aren't
configuration-related.

How would you implement your desired features if this API didn't exist?
No good alternative. I would have to add a toolbar or another omnibar
icon to give the user a piece of UI to get to the options page.

Are you willing and able to develop and maintain this API?
I would if I had a Visual Studio license compatible with compiling Chromium.

Draft API spec
This would just add to the manifest file spec:
    {
      "name": "My Extension",
      "version": "versionString",
      "options_page": "options.html",
    }

    "options_page" field description:

    Optional. The path of a html page within the extension which the
user can use to adjust extension-specific configuration. The page must
be written by the extension developer.

Open questions
Could it be possible for extension installation to fail if there is no
corresponding file to match the one specified in the manifest's
options_page value? Also, bring the options page to the forefront when
the button is clicked, if the options page was already open.

Regards,

Akira