I would like to add my humble opinion on this topic. Though both of my
extensions (Cleeki and AniWeather) are surely affected, my opinion
below is, instead, more from a viewpoint of a user.

The lesson I learned from my development experience, more importantly
as a user, is to avoid making a hard-coded decision on behalf of a
user, unless a user really doesn't know what he wants. When a group of
users are pleased because of certain deterministic setting, there
might be equal amount of users who are unhappy about it, considering
statistically users are more likely to complain, instead of
complimenting. Every user is unique, and the best way is to
accommodate the demand from both sides. In all classic applications
(Windows Explore, Internet  Explorer, Firefox), there is an option to
hide status bar and I don't know why this is a problem for Chrome.
Getting rid of an option because some dislike it is like getting ride
of the disabled permit parking because most drivers won't need it.

Back to browser actions, only allowing one 19px image let the designed
system immediately reach its upper capacity without any grace space
for future expanding. IMHO allowing a popup page is like a clumsy
patch because of this hard-coded architecture. That said, I am pretty
sure that many users will like it because of its simplicity, but I am
also confident that there are many users/developers feeling it is too
restricted.

Of course, the above is just my 2c and in no means I meant to alter
any decision in Chrome dev because I am standing out of it. But I
believe if Google Chrome is targeting at gaining some share from the
severe browser battle, it might be a good idea to consider more from
users.

Best,
Jack