On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Aaron Boodman <a...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Mike Perry <mikeperry.unu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> 7. SSL Session ID Clearing
>>
>> SSL Session IDs are GUIDs used to reduce round trips on the SSL
>> handshake by providing an identifier to reference a recently
>> established SSL session.
>>
>> I checked the Incognito code, and it does clear the approved SSL
>> certificate cache, which is great.  However, if a user connects to
>> https://secure.wikileaks.org without Incognito and then opens up an
>> Incognito window to do the same, the Session IDs remain the same
>> across both windows, and are a unique identifier that can be used to
>> generally track users. You can see this happen with Wireshark on
>> Windows Chrome 3.0.195.27.
>>
>> Exposing an API to completely reset the SSL state in a specific tab
>> processes or profile instance would be workable, however I could also
>> see this code just being added to the code that already rebuilds
>> Incognito's SSL cert caches in
>> OffTheRecordProfileImpl::GetSSLHostState().
>
> It seems like maybe this is just a bug in Chrome? If so, perhaps a
> good place to start would be to fix it.

This is not a bug in the current security model for incognito because
incognito is about not leaving tracks on your local machine.  However,
incognito has a bunch of behaviors around general privacy
improvements.  I'd certainly welcome a patch that used distinct SSL
session IDs for incognito mode.

Adam