I can't use tabs.create() however, because I am making a quick
extension that makes the new tab button open the user's homepage (or a
specified page) instead of Google's new tab page.  Using tabs.create()
would create 2 tabs.

One more quick question with the code below:

chrome.tabs.onCreated.addListener(function(tab) {
     chrome.tabs.update(tab.id,{
        url: "http://www.glotouch.com";
     });
});

For some odd reason this code only works on every other tab that is
created.  Any idea why?