There's no option to do either of the things you describe, but here's a
feature that may be useful depending on what you're trying to accomplish:

The extension pages (background pages, popups, and any tabs opened to a
?chrome-extension://YOUR_ID/.." url) can all get direct access to the
javascript global object for each other.

For instance, say I'm doing something like checking an rss feed or twitter
account or whatever in my background page, and keeping the results in a
javascript variable called "results". Then in my popup I could do:

var results = chrome.extension.getBackgroundPage().results;
// do something to display results

You can even call functions too, eg.

chrome.extension.getBackgroundPage().myFunction();

http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/extension.html#method-getBackgroundPage
<http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/extension.html#method-getBackgroundPage>
http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/extension.html#method-getExtensionTabs