The idea is to nudge extensions in the direction of minimalist UI the same
way chrome itself is minimalist.

In that vein, I'd suggest you try out page actions so see if they suit your
needs. One thing that might help is that we recently landed support for a
popup triggered from a page action, similar to how browser actions have a
popup. The docs still need to be updated to reflect this, but here's an
example:

In your manifest.json

"page_action": {
  "default_icon": "icon.png",
  "popup": "page_action_popup.html"
}

In a script block in your background page:

// Price comparison completed and we have a result. (Imagine the
// target tabid was hung off the result object.)
chrome.pageAction.show(result.tabid);

In your page_action_popup.html, you could use the messaging API or even the
chrome.extension.getBackgroundPage API to get the right data to display.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Evgeny Shadchnev <evgeny.shadch...@gmail.com