hi all!

I am completely new to writing chrome extensions, so I need your
advices. I am thinking about creating so-called Translit extension.
Translit is used  to encode Cyrillic letters with Latin ones. Since I
am ukrainian I want sometimes to type some Cyrillic text in the
fields. However, I have an english keyboard and it is quite annoying
to use some services to translate Latin letters to Cyrillic.

My idea is to use a Caps Lock to switch between default input (say
Lating) and Translit. In other words, whenever Translit mode is active
I want to replace Latin character or combination of characters into
their Cyrillic equivalents.
For example:
ch ---> ч
ya ---> я

and so on..

The question is if it is possible to implement such simple
functionality with chrome extensions and what do I start with?

Thank you all in advance for your answers.