Aaron and Mark,

In my case I am using AJAXy XHR on a background page to interact with
a data service that requires authentication and uses the challenge
digest auth scheme per the http authentication spec (http://
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2617).

The first XHR request is just used to send the username to the server
and get a nonce and nextnonce to hash with the user's passkey, then I
slap a "Authorize" header onto the next XHR request with the hashed
passkey and send it off... So, in other words, I don't want that
dialog popping up.  Mozilla uses XMLHttpRequest.mozBackgroundRequest =
true to make this happen (https://developer.mozilla.org/En/
XMLHttpRequest).

Is there anything in Chromium to make that happen?  Is there a use
defined preference or setting that will do the trick?

-- Kris