I'm not sure I understand what you are expecting, but getSelected is
an asynchronous call.  So you can't expect tabUrl and tabTitle to be
set at the time you are currently calling createLink.  They will only
be set when the callback function is called.  You may be looking to do
something like this:

chrome.tabs.getSelected(null, function(tab) {
    tabUrl = tab.url;
    tabTitle = tab.title;
    createLink();
});