Can an extension be written that is used to group extensions into a
single popup(somewhat like a tab on the browser)?  I've not reviewed
the docs sufficiently to know if this kind of functionality is even
possible, but it seems that it could be possible.

The only drawback I can see right now is that the extension container
may block the contained extensions from the topmost page (from sending/
receiving messages, etc.)?  That may require muxing contained
extension messages through the extension container?

Just a thought.