It may be that you're attaching the click event listener before the node is
actually created, so when it looks for nodes with class ".toggle", it
doesn't exist yet.
The document.ready event will be fired before you programatically create a
node. Try something like this instead:

$("<span></span>).text("span text here").click(function() {
  console.log('span clicked');
});

Or, depending on your needs, you can use the "live" method to attach events
to current and future nodes:

http://docs.jquery.com/Events/live#typefn

something like:

$(document).ready(function(){
       console.log('$ is loaded');
       $('.toggle').live('click', function() {
         console.log('span clicked');
       });
});

Hope this helps

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:24 PM, lorenx <lor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi and thanks for the answer...
>
> i'm on a "browser action" and i'm including jquery.js and others
> scripts.js in my popup.html.
>
> i created a span with "toggle" class:
>
> var spanText = document.createTextNode('[ + ]');
> var span = document.createElement('span');
> span.className = 'toggle';
> span.style.cursor = 'pointer';
> span.appendChild(spanText);
>
> but this code only outputs "$ is loaded", no response when i click the
> span:
>
> $(document).ready(function(){
>        console.log('$ is loaded');
>        $('.toggle').click(function(){
>                console.log('span clicked');
>        });
> });
>
> On Nov 24, 8:13 pm, Marcos Aruj <marcos.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It is working fine for me, also doing some more complex things. In what
> > context are you including the jQuery js file?
> >

> > On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:03 PM, lorenx <lor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > hi all,
> > > i included the library and $(document).ready() works as expected.
> >
> > > what i'm not able to do is, for example, a simple task like the
> > > following:
> > > assigned a class to a dom element, i'm not able to intercept the click
> > > as i normally do with $('.className).click().
> >
> > > is there something i miss?
> > > thanks very much.
> >
> > > --

> bscr...@googlegroups.com>