Hi all,

Several of you have asked whether the extensions gallery supports importing
your existing key. In fact we do, but we were hoping to improve the user
experience so it's currently undocumented.

With that caveat in mind, here's how you can import your existing key:

   1. Rename your private key file to "key.pem"
   2. Put it in the extension directory and zip it together with your code.
   3. Upon upload*, we'll detect the key, remove it from the package and
   store it separately.

If you had set up auto-update, you can also transition existing users
through the following steps:

   1. Create a new version of your extension
      1. with a version number higher than the latest version you shared
      with users.
      2. ...but lower than the one published on the gallery.
      3. and with the following auto-update url:
      http://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx
   2. Push this updated version to your users. The next update check will
   then go to the gallery.

Note that we don't yet support exporting keys, so once you host your
extension on the gallery, you won't be able to easily return to
self-hosting. We hope to support exporting extensions at some point in the
future.

-Nick

* We understand some of you may be reluctant to upload your key to Google.
We are considering how to avoid this, but for now you should probably stick
to self-hosting.