Toolstrips are being disabled permanently in the next dev channel
release, you should use browser actions instead:

http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/browserAction.html

Out of curiosity, what made you decide to try and use a toolstrip?
We've removed all the documentation for them. Were you copying an
existing extension, or are there some links or docs somewhere that I
need to get removed.

Thanks,

- a