Hi Jeremy,
 sorry for late reply.

 Accept-Language list is sorted as you said, more important language
first...

 As for i18n-ing your extension - if you can wait ~2 weeks, we should have
manifest, and JavaScript API ready for you to use (you can already test JS
by using chrome.i18n.getMessage() - but it works well only for unpacked
extensions).

Regards,
 Nebojsa Ciric

(resending because of the bounced email from groups)