(Now sending from the right account, so this email will appear out of order
within the thread for most of you and duplicate to some) :)

Anand,

Take a look at the source for the Email This Page extension in the samples.
The background page does exactly what Erik is describing...

http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/samples.html

-Finnur