Hi,
thanks for your reply and your suggestion.

As far as I know the unload event doesn't allow to event handler to
prevent the default action, so I suppose that also in that case the
browser will shut down.

>From my point of view Chrome API should allow to prevent default
action in tab/window event handlers. In that way if the last tab is
closed, the event handler can stop the default action and let the tab
open.

Thinking about your proposal I get the following doubt: if in unload
event handler  for last tab I open a new tab, Chrome will evaluate the
complete shut down before or after the unload event handler?
(this solution requires that I communicate with a background script
that is allowed to access to Chrome API to get the number of opened
tabs)

What do you think about?

Thanks,
Luca