It's happening in win7 and winxp, not sure about other platforms.

Here's an example extension:
http://dev.upup.us/chromeextensions/popup_overflow.crx

and screenshots

http://dev.upup.us/chromeextensions/overflow/win7.png
http://dev.upup.us/chromeextensions/overflow/winxp.png

This is with the popup body width set to 300px, but it looks the same with
body width unset and p {width:300px;}.
The only way I've been able to keep the scrollbar from covering content is
by setting child element widths to around 20px less than the body width, or
adding padding so that no actual content is underneath the scrollbar. This
does not look great when the content is short enough not to need scrollbars
though.