Thanks . CorelDRAW suite and Photoshow seem to interlace images by
default. I've turned off the interlacing and have finally been able to
publish my first theme.
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/djaeojidpcgkemhnfljfmccekkfddfbd/publish-accepted

As a matter of interest though, I've been working on this theme before
theme support even went public and the interlaced images were working.
I decided to wait and see how things would shape up with the gallery
before going any further but then realized the files were no longer
stable.