Hello

I've tried a couple of extensions and it's quite annoying that they
don't work with chrome:// pages. If I use vimlike-smoozie (keyboard
browsing) it's supposed to run everywhere, otherwise it's not
consistent. Same goes for mouse gestures, tab switchers etc.

This is what I found about the issue in the mail archive:
The real reason behind not allowing content scripts to modify chrome:
URLs isn't really security, but rather compatibility. ÂOnce we allow
people to inject content scripts into those pages, then the structure
of those pages (DOM, CSS, even JS) essentially become API that we have
to find a way to support across versions in order to avoid breaking
extensions across Chrome version changes.

In addition to giving the ability to completely replace chrome://
pages, we'd like to provide a few other options in the future which we
think should help minimize the need to inject content scripts into
chrome:// pages:
- Allowing some way to add global hooks to keyboard accelerators and
mouse gestures, without requiring content scripts to be injected.
- Exposing the features of the new tab page as extension APIs so that
it's possible to build a fully-functional replacement.
- A modularized gadget API to the new tab page that we could support
moving forward independent of changes to the new tab page's layout,
etc.

No timeline for any of these changes, but they're things that we're
considering. ÂOf the three, probably the keyboard and mouse events are
the most important.

Erik