In my situation, the readyState was 4, but the status was 0... so I think
this may have been the same issue. If the status is 0, is that a chrome or
webkit bug? Maybe the status not changing as expected caused jQuery to jump
the gun and call the error callback early causing the responseText to be
partially complete.

--Jon