>See the manifest without going searching through the files.

This answer makes no sense at all!

If I am putting chrome-extension://<substitute_extension_id>/
manifest.json into the Omnibox, how do I get the extension ID?

Firstly, I already had to go to chrome://extensions/ to look at the ID
of the extension I am interested in.  Secondly, I have to select and
copy all 32 characters of the ID and then paste into the Omnibox just
so I can craft a URL of the form chrome-extension://
<substitute_extension_id>/manifest.json.  Thirdly, entering that URL
into the Omnibox only results in saving the manifest.json, and I still
have to open a file browser to go to the saved location before I can
open to see the manifest.json.

If I need to do all that, I might as well have my file browser already
open to the ...\User Data\Default\Extensions\ directory, and after I
get the extension ID from chrome://extensions/ just open that
directory myself in the file browser and read the manifest.json.  It's
only one level lower inside the version number directory.  Do you
consider that to be "searching through the files" ?

Or am I missing something that makes chrome-extension://
<substitute_extension_id>/manifest.json so much better?  To me,
viewing this in the Omnibox is just ridiculously slower.