Hi Nate.
You can use either XML or JSON in your Chrome extension, it's up to
you.

JavaScript recently introduced a native JSON object (in 1.7 I think)
to convert between strings of JSON and JavaScript objects without
resorting to an external library.

Because of this, and because JSON is JavaScript, JSON is a **lot**
easier to work with than XML.

Incidentally, if you want to convert from XML to JSON, this is a neat
lib:
http://www.terracoder.com/index.php/xml-objectifier/xml-objectifier-introduction.

The only place you must use JSON is in the manifest.json file.

Cheers
- rich