Here is my suggestion:

Provide a facility to create sub-extensions under single extension.
this will be a great feature for addon developers. it will allow us to
maintain the code efficiently and it will also allow to bundle the
themes and extensions together.

Here is sample:

manifest.json

{

//details of master addon
//background page for installing/enabling/disabling sub addons.
// we can do it by using options page also. we need some special apis
here.

"sub-extension":{

             "extension-1":{

                              //details of extension 1

             },
             "theme1":{
                              //details of theme1

            }

},

//other attributes of master addon

}

In extension's page we can show the child /sub extensions under the
main extension as tree of children.

Here are the benefits of this method over mozilla firefox's extension
system:

this is very secure method as child extension will be able to
communicate with their siblings only. so unlike firefox extension one
extension cannot interfere with other extension's functionality. also
it will provide a easy way of updating the single child extension
without affecting siblings and master extension.

I didnt found any con of this method. if anyone found any then post
here.

This is very crude idea. it need many refinements. I invite all of the
addon developers to discuss and post their thoughts. also i want to
invite people who want this feature in chrome to support the demand by
posting their demand here in this topic. so if sufficient number of
people demand this feature then chrome team will consider this
feature.

Hrishikesh Kale
India