I've been trying to get my extension to write to the javascript
database just before a user leaves the page. I've been unable to do
this despite the fact the the function call used will work elsewhere -
thus not an issue with that particular method. I'm attempting to save
the state just before the window (popup) is closed.

However, when calling it through the onbeforeunload event it seems
never to work. By returning a value i've prevented a new window from
being opened and noticed a curious thing in the developer tools, it
seems that my tables aren't any longer in the databases section -
however the DB name remains.

Has anyone run into this before?

I'm triggering this on the body element <body onbeforeunload="savestuff
();"> because I get an error when attempting window.onbeforeunload

Thanks for any insight