I am trying to develop an extension which uses HTML5 canvas for
resizing images. When I try to put an image data URL to it and ask it
to return another data URL after resizing, it may increase the memory
usage a lot (depending on the image). When I try to remove the element
by canvas = null, the usage does not decrease.

I have several questions to ask:

1. is the cost of using canvas to resize image very large?
2. is there any other way to resize image and return new data url
other than using canvas?
3. when i use canvas=null, does it mean that the javascript engine
will clean it? (i cannot see any GC related to that)
4. is there any way to force the chrome js engine to do Garbage
Collection?
5. in task manger of chrome. is the memory usage shown only caused by
the extension alone, not sharing the memory with the pages/chrome?