Thnx Manti,

What do you mean by websocket is enabled? You mean on the extension side or
the server side(java).
If you mean the java server side, how do i enable it?

I am having trouble in completing the handshake from the java server side.
The server comes out of accept but it is not able to complete the handshake
for the onopen() function in the extension to return.

If you could just look at the following code :

background.html ( in the extension )
<script>
chrome.windows.onCreated.addListener(function(Window)
{
console.log("Window is successfully created");
});
if ("WebSocket" in window) {
console.log("Websockets are supported here ");
 var ws = new WebSocket("ws://localhost:49731");
 console.log("Web Socket created with the state "+ ws.readyState);
 try {
 ws.onopen=function(){
 alert("Connection opened");};
 }

 catch (err) {
console.log(err);
 }
 console.log("exiting with state as :"+ ws.readyState);
}
</script>

this the code that i am writing for my java server :

try{
hearsay_socket = new ServerSocket(49731);
 System.out.println("Waiting on Accept");
 js_socket = hearsay_socket.accept();
 System.out.println("Handling client at " +
        js_socket.getInetAddress().getHostAddress() + " on port " +
             js_socket.getPort());
out = new PrintWriter(js_socket.getOutputStream(),true);
 in = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(js_socket.getInputStream()));
 System.out.println("Web socket Accepted");
 for(;;)
{
 bufferedData= in.readLine();
System.out.println(bufferedData);
 if(bufferedData.length()==0)
{
 System.out.println("Breaking");
 break;
}
 }
}
 catch(UnknownHostException e)
{
 System.err.println("Have no information about the host : localhost");
 System.exit(1);
}
 catch(IOException e)
{
 System.err.println("Couldn't establish communication");
 }
   handShake1 = "HTTP/1.1 101 Web Socket Protocol Handshake\r\n"+
 "Upgrade: WebSocket\r\n"+
 "Connection: Upgrade\r\n";
handShake2= "WebSocket-Origin:
chrome-extension://jikhaebpllfkfacdccmeonpkpfcnldna\r\n"+
 "WebSocket-Location:
ws:/"+js_socket.getLocalAddress()+":"+js_socket.getLocalPort()+"\r\n\r\n";
 handShake2=handShake2.toLowerCase();
 System.out.println(handShake2);
byte[] bytes1=handShake1.getBytes("ASCII");
 byte[] bytes2= handShake2.getBytes("ASCII");
 out.print(bytes1);
out.print(bytes2);

Sorry for dumping the entire code here, but i think it would be better for
others to catch the glitch in the program, if any.

Regards
Suraj Soni

If U can solve ur problem, then what is need of worrying?
If U cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying.