After asking for permissions for a certain domain in the
manifest.json, shouldn't you also have access to the database/
localstorage for these domains from your extension. Naturally one can
do this with an extremely complicated script through the messaging
features, however I would not regard that a practical option.
Essentially I would suggest something like:
 chrome.extension.domain("example.com", function(){
  //Everything here is regarded by the browser as if its on
example.com
 });
Already for two different features I have been developing this would
have saved me a lot of work and I think it would make quite a number
of things incomparably easier to program.

Either way, back to my original question, would anybody know of some
trick to access the database of the website where my content scripts
run without the messaging features?